Hooked on Chocolate.... Paint, That Is!

Since today was a holiday and the weather was gorgeous, I couldn't spend the day inside playing computer games or catching up on Housewives.  I needed to be productive.

We're in the process of painting the inside of the house a nice blue/gray.  I love the color, and design ideas have just been falling into place.

Twelve years ago, when we moved into this house, I painted one of the kitchen walls red.  Red was the accent color throughout the house.  We had purchased six unfinished chairs with padded seats and two bar chairs.  I stained them red.  I put a red plaid material on the seats.  Over the years, I've done nothing to them - and they'd begun to look really neglected.  Today was the day to do something about it.

My husband and I went to Home Depot and bought a quart of chocolate brown eggshell finish paint.  I then printed out my 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby and headed out.  I found the most beautiful, heavy duty brown fabric there and bought one yard to see if it all would work ($15.00 - what a steal!).  The rest of the afternoon was spent painting chairs - two coats.  I am pleased with the results and can't wait to see the colors evolve as we slowly finish painting.  I'm planning to recover the dining room chair seats with the same fabric as well.  Simplify.  That's my new mantra.

Simple instructions are on the Instruction page.


The finished product (in a dining room stuffed with other furniture as we paint).

Color swatches - brown paint, brown fabric on gray wall paint color


The "before" - red stained chairs and outdated plaid seat cushions
Dining room chairs that will get a brown makeover (yes, the yellow walls will eventually disappear as well!)
The painting begins
Two coats in two hours - love the warm weather!


The bar chairs - chocolate brown (yes, the orange walls are soon to be gray - thank goodness!)

Comments

Popular Posts