Crispy Croutons in a Snap!

I love croutons on my salad.  I hate spending money at the store on them.  They're so expensive, I usually go without.  

We had a huge loaf of day old bread that was too beautiful to throw out.  I thought it would be perfect to try making croutons with.  And it was.  And they turned out great!


Pin It

Here's the simple recipe:  Just pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.  Cut your day old (or older!) bread into squares.  Pour olive oil or melted butter, or both, back and forth across the bottom of a cookie sheet.  Put the bread squares on the sheet and swirl them around.  Pour more oil on top and swirl some more.  Add spices, salt, parmesan cheese, seasoning salt - whatever you like - on top.  Cook for 5 mins.  Pull the sheet out, turn the little buggers over and cook for 5 more minutes or until brown.

That's it!!  I will never buy croutons again!!

After the first 5 minutes, these are ready to turn over.
 
The finished product!


Close up view - I used olive oil and Italian seasoning on this batch.

Fresh lettuce, avocado and a tomato from the garden - oh, and David's home made blue cheese dressing!!




Comments

Popular Posts