TIME TO TRY SOMETHING A BIT MORE DELICATE

As you probably know, I get bored easily.  My craft interests morph continually.  Maybe it really isn't boredom... maybe it's just that there is so much out there that I want to try everything.  Well, almost everything.  Like my dad would say, jack of all trades, master of none.  Maybe that's me.

I LOVE the knit baby blanket pattern that I've been using for quite awhile.  Now that I have the pattern pretty much mastered, I can always have one of those blankets as my WIP (work in progress).  Doesn't that sound bloggish??  I've read other blogs where they mention their "WIPs", so now I'm "au courant"!  I recently went to Hobby Lobby because all yarn was 30% off.  I bought four skeins of many different yarns so the next logical step was to find a new, fairly simple pattern.



If you love to knit or crochet, I know I've mentioned it before, check Ravelry.com.  You'll find many patterns there that are free and/or inexpensive.  I've only dipped my toe in the water on that site because when I start searching, I find something within minutes, and the search stops.

I found this "Light and Lacy Crochet Baby Blanket" pattern from Missed Stitches Crochet.  The link is here.  Once I figured out the repetitive pattern, it went very quickly.  I used Baby Bee yarn.  (It took two skeins for this 27" x 32" blanket plus one additional skein for the edging.)



I love these lacy blankets, but I always struggle with the edging.  These lacy patterns are such that the stitches on the sides aren't always symmetrical so then, when you're single crocheting around the edge, it is sometimes difficult to discern where to put the hook.  With the directions for the edging on this pattern, it didn't seem to matter much if it was perfect.  It came out looking quite nice!

I did make one change however.  For the third round of the edging, I did my own thing.  I did one sc turning stitch, then did sc up to the space, then a dc into the space, back to sc, etc.  I also did 3 sc on each corner.  (sc = single crochet, dc = double crochet)

The final touch, of course, was to add a tassel at each corner.  I had purchased a similar color yarn for the edging and tassels and that worked out nicely.  I've learned some tricks that make adding a tassel to a piece so that the attaching yarn is invisible.  Also, the yarn piece that wraps around the tassel is knotted and hidden.  My next post will be a simple How To on tassel making.



Now if I can just keep my cats away from the tassels and pompoms - their favorite thing to do is to pull them apart.  :::::sigh:::::::

Pillow minus pom pom in the center courtesy of Fitz.





Comments

Popular Posts