"Surprise Inside" BOO Cake

One of my favorite blogs, i am baker, had a tutorial on how to make this BOO cake (link here). I was immediately intrigued.  I really wanted to make this cake.  I thought about the cake, I planned when I would make the cake, (time passed), I read the blog, I thought about the cake.... well, you get the idea.  Never made the cake.  Until Sunday night.  Thought I'd try it.  It was chilly outside, I was feeling a bit bored so what the heck, right?  Should be simple enough.  Well, it wasn't.


My "BOO" is a little off center and the cake edges were a little dark, but it tasted pretty good!


I've been pretty fortunate that things sometimes come easy to me.  I don't know how to do a lot of stuff, but if the directions are good or someone shows me, I can pretty much do it.  I thought the same for this cake.  

Despite the outcome (I'm foreshadowing here....) I did learn a lot.  I learned how to make cake pop cake  - not one of my interests, but hey, it's good info.  I learned how to make a surprise inside treat - someday I'll try that again.  I learned that it's okay to fail and that sometimes the second time around may be better. 

Some things to think about....
I followed the directions on the blog and had some difficulty with the baking part. When I made it the first time I didn't cook it long enough.  It was a soupy mess inside.  On the second try  I ended up cooking that dang cake for probably close to an hour.  It was definitely longer than the directions on the box recommend.  Check with a LONG toothpick or skewer for doneness.  I think the density of the surprise inside affects the bake time.


Plan for this taking a bit of time.  It took me a couple of hours.  (A glass of wine nearby helps too.)

Save your leftovers.  I saved the surprise inside cake mixture that I didn't use and ended up using it on my second try.  The frosting leftovers came in handy as well.  If I were to do it again, I would pour the cup or so of leftover white  batter into cupcake tins and make a few of those in addition to the cake.

People LOVE THIS CAKE!  I didn't know how it would turn out and took it to work thinking it would be thrown away, but people loved it!  And they loved the BOO.  

And after making it successfully the second time around I might try it again.  Maybe.  



This icing from i am baker.net is still one of my faves!

Comments

Popular Posts