MY SPACE AND A LOOK BACK

It's been exactly three months now since I retired from my career of 38 years.  Starting as an elementary teacher right out of college and taking a path that I certainly hadn't planned, I moved from that level to middle school, and finally to high school.  Having always thought that I would be a teacher, I was a little surprised at the offer of Activities Director position at the middle school where I had only worked for a year.  I accepted and loved that job!  Amazing principal, staff, and kids made those few years a joy.  That position morphed into an Assistant Principal gig, which became a high school Dean job, and then another change to a high school Assistant Principal.  I loved every... single... job.  Sure there was stress, and uncomfortable change, and craziness, but the journey was amazing.  Until...

I had been contemplating retiring and shared that thought with my principal, hoping that in the following year or two I could perhaps mentor others and share expertise.   I don't know the reason, but in March I was told I would be moved from AP to the Activities Director at that same high school for the following year and then, should I choose to continue in the position, I would take the appropriate pay decrease.   No explanation.  No reason given.  Activities Director at the high school level is waaaay different than at the middle school, and after having done discipline and attendance for over fourteen years, it was certainly a shock.  I was pushing 60 - I wasn't that energetic young adult anymore!  This was daunting.  I thought I had done something wrong.  I questioned my judgment of people.  I was embarrassed.  And sad.

I dove in and did what I needed to do.  For six months.  When I turned 60 1/2 in March, I retired.  It was not what I had thought my retirement would be but I was ready.  Thirty eight years and a career I was proud of ended that quickly.

Now three months later, I am settled into my new routine.  I cherish the great memories of my career.   I have spoken with several colleagues who have been given the same type of "opportunity" as I and I can genuinely sympathize and offer my perspective and support.  Whether this is an anomaly or a current trend that has infected schools and businesses alike (new is better, old is outdated) I will never know.  I will never know why I was one of the "chosen ones".  But I can look back and find joy in the students, parents, and colleagues that have blessed my life over the years.  I can enjoy volunteering in my daughter's middle school classroom as she carries on the family tradition of teaching.

On to "my space".  My office at work was filled with pictures and books and memorabilia and was an inviting space for kids and adults.  I always loved my offices.  Well, now that I'm home, I needed a space of my own.  My husband works from home in his own office space and I needed a place where I wouldn't be in his way.  This room is now my space.  Yarn, paints, scrabooking supplies, stamping stuff - It's all here.  I'm content.  


Mahogany desk was found at a garage sale over 20 years ago and refinished by my husband.  We gave it away years ago, and then it was given back to us when our friend moved.

I purchased this cubby at Michael's for 50% off.  It's perfect for my yarn rolls and photos waiting to be put in albums.

This lovely box is actually a brick mold that I found at a local shop. 

These organizational pieces are from Pottery Barn.  I can't be without a white board calendar!

The closet is filled with all my "stuff"!

My work office - loved this small space!




Comments

Popular Posts