KNIT A LITTLE BLANKET FOR FUN

I have a love/hate relationship with knitting.

I love:
  • The symmetry of the stitches
  • Simple patterns that are repetitive
  • The challenge of learning and mastering a new stitch
  • A fairly quick pattern that allows me to see progress
  • Trying something more complicated and finding success
I struggle with:
  • The challenge of learning and mastering a new stitch :)
  • The frustration of correcting mistakes - more difficult than crocheting
  • Knitting is slower than crocheting
I cannot count the number of times that I have searched websites such as Ravelry (check it out if you haven't done so!  Create an account so that you can see all the amazing patterns!), tried one, then gotten frustrated and pulled the project apart.  But the allure of beautiful yarn pulls me back in and I try again.

I found a pattern on Ravelry that I love!  It is symmetrical (score one for my perfectionism - OCD??), the pattern is repetitive, and, once you figure out the two somewhat uncommon stitches, it's easy to knit.  

I have made several of these baby blankets over the years and since my retirement, I have been enjoying uninterrupted time creating more.  Below are pictures of the most recent blanket I made with this pattern.

This free pattern is by Laura Falin.  It's called "Popcorn Blanket".  She also has a website which is peacebutnotquiet.com.

As a finishing touch I like to add a pompom or a tassel to the corners.  How fun is that??

This is made with Hobby Lobby's Yarn Bee Glowing yarn in Mariposa Prairie


This is an example of the "popcorn" pattern - KPK in one stitch, then K three stitches together for one row.
Reverse side is just purl.  You can do this!!

Here are my current yarn choices - both from Hobby Lobby (on sale!).  Each blanket requires six skeins.  Working on two at once keeps me from getting bored with the yarn. If you haven't tried knitting, I encourange you check out some videos on YouTube and start a simple project. This hobby can be very calming.  Play some music in the background, find a comfortable chair, and give it a try!




Update:  I finished the "I Love This Yarn" blanket.  This yarn isn't as soft as the other, but I loved the colors.  I added pompoms to this one.  Totally fell in love with it!

I bought some gray yarn for the poms


When I took it outside for the photo, I couldn't believe that the gray turned purple in the light!!  Crazy!!

My Fitz!!  I couldn't do it without him!




Comments

Popular Posts