OREO AND CARAMEL STUFFED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS

It's been a busy few weeks.  Throw together a visit to a nearby high school for an accreditation review, lots of stuff going on at work, and most recently a 5.1 earthquake near my home and it's the fuel for some sort of near exhaustion.  But today was a gorgeous day - one in which my husband and I spent quite a bit of time walking and being oh so grateful that we had no damage to our home other than having to pick up things off the floor.    I also carved a couple hours out of the day to make a batch of these chocolate chip bars for my son-in-law to take to work.  (I saved one or two for us, but there is no way a batch of these things would get eaten here at home!)

This recipe comes from Recipe Girl (find the link here).  I love the whole "Oreo stuck in the middle" of something concept.  This had the best of both worlds plus some caramel thrown in.



These amazing bars didn't take much longer than the normal type of chocolate chip cookies.  The only thing I didn't have on hand was a jar of caramel and some Quaker Oats, which were readily available at the local supermarket.  (I always have Oreos in the cupboard!)




Mix the butter and sugars, then add the dry ingredients.


Press half the dough into the bottom of a glass pan.



Add Oreos and pour the caramel over the top.

Then add spoonfuls of the remaining dough.


Bake as directed.

Add some chips to the top when the bars are right out of the oven.


I wanted to make it easy for people to enjoy them, so I cut them up, put them in cupcake liners and put each one in an individual bag with a twist tie (you can buy these in the candy section at Michael's).  I even cut some in half for those who don't want a big piece.

Love this recipe and please visit Recipe Girl!



Comments

Popular Posts