THE TALE OF A TABLE

When my daughter and son-in-law got married in 2012, they purchased a very cute 42" square table and four chairs from Target.  It looked similar to this:


They moved from their first apartment to their second, then to their first little home.  That table and chairs moved with them.  My son-in-law's father made a beautiful dining room table for them so they no longer needed this set and placed it out on the curb hoping that someone would pick it up and take it home.  That someone was me.

When my job assignment changed and I was in charge of ASB (Student Government students), I had a very cool office with a section that had been used to just store junk and which had a beat up old couch-type thing that had seen better days.  I chucked it all and brought the table and chairs in to take their place.  I added a few more chairs and this became the table where the Executive Cabinet and Class Cabinet members would meet, where students could have a quiet place to talk with one another, where they could plan events and where, six months after taking the job, I tearfully told my Exec Cab members that I would be retiring.  Big hugs near that table that day.  Lots of Kleenex were needed.

But, I digress.... back to the table....

When I packed up my office, I also disassembled the table and hauled the set home.  I put it in my craft room and it was a perfect surface for scrapbooking or painting, but it was a bit large for the room since I had a large old desk in there to begin with.  My handy husband looked at the underside of the table and confirmed that he could pull it apart, cut it down to my preferred 30" x 42" size.  I was hoping to be able to sand it and use a distressed white stain on it.  But once I started sanding, I realized that it was a very thin lauan layer on particle board.  Just a little sanding and I had eliminated the lauan!  So paint was the answer.


He pulled out the circular saw and went to work.


The table size was reduced and the pieces of wood supporting the table top and legs had to be reduced as well.

The painting began.  Three coats later, all the pieces were ready to reassemble!  For once I was grateful for our heat wave - when it's 100 degrees outside, the paint dries quickly!!



After reassembling the table, I moved my large desk to the other side of the room, and this little white table took its place!


My Pottery Barn organizer items and my other wall items were not moved.

>
The old desk was moved - I didn't think I'd like it so far away from my whiteboard, but it's working out perfectly!

I'm thinking that as soon as I finish my latest knit blanket, I will start working on putting all my 2017 pictures in an album.  I'll certainly have the space!  Or.... I could just have my cup of coffee and donut up here in the morning and postpone the scrapbooking..... ;)




Comments

Popular Posts