FOR YOU KNITTERS OUT THERE

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted here!  I've been neglecting this tiny little blog and am looking forward to updating it. I sometimes procrastinate and then, when too much time has passed, it takes me awhile to get back on track.  Same thing with my photo albums (yes, I still enjoy the old fashioned photo albums!) I neglected them as well and need to get caught up.  Guess it's a good thing that I retired a month ago!

When looking for something new to knit or crochet, I found this pattern online at the Lion Brand Yarn website.  I was looking for something fairly simple because I'm a novice knitter, but also a pattern with a bit of a challenge so that I continue to be interested.  The link is here.  (There is a small charge for the pattern and it is available as a kit.)  This pattern is all knit/purl with a slipped stitch at the beginning of each odd row.  Thank goodness for the internet - every type of stitch is demonstrated on YouTube!!  Maybe I can get rid of my Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework book that I've had forever!

I chose a Lion Brand Thick and Quick yarn for my first try.  Since it was early fall when I started, I was drawn to the harvest colors.  (Little did I know that it would take me until early spring to finish.  Yep, I did pull it apart and start over several times!)


This pattern includes a chart which is very helpful.  When I had knitted Christmas stockings a few years ago, I used a chart.  I ignored the one with this pattern, but after a few tries and mistakes when following the written directions (while watching TV, which didn't work out very well for me!), I went back to the chart.  It really helped!  As you can see though, I still kept track of my rows so I didn't get lost.


I saw a picture on Instagram of a crocheted afghan with pompoms.  I love pompoms and I love making them using the pompom makers that you can purchase at any JoAnn's or Michael's store.  I decided to use some of my leftover yarn from another project to make them for this project.


Here is the final result! 



Update:  I found some amazing yarn and tried the same pattern again, this time as a baby blanket.  The final measurements are 36" x 36" and I added pom poms again.  The yarn is Bernat Mix Baby from Michael's.  I made pom poms from the four different "yarns" in the skein, which was a lot of fun!

P.S.  If you've never made pom poms, now is the time to buy the plastic gizmo and have some fun!







Comments

Popular Posts