COVERED WINDOW SEAT CUSHION


 I've been wanting a cushion for the bookcase "window seat" in my craft room for quite some time.  I checked out pricing on having one made and it was far too expensive for a seat that probably only my cats would sit on.  (It's only 12" deep.)

I went online and found a YouTube video that made the project look fairly simple.  I was automatically skeptical - when does a project that looks easy end up being easy?  Well, I won't say it was easy, but it was far less complicated than doing the one that I had originally planned in my head.

This project eliminated the need for a top and bottom piece and a separate side piece that is sewn around the perimeter.  This one only needed a bottom piece with a zipper and a larger piece that wrapped around the sides and top.  There was no having to match patterns at seams which was a plus. 

Here is the final product:



The measurement of my "bench" was an odd 56" x 12".  Most home decorative fabrics are 54" so that presented an issue for me.  I spent a lot of time measuring and trying to figure out my cutting lines and making sure that I had everything correct.  Plus, I decided to add a 12" piece at both ends so that it was balanced since the fabric wasn't wide enough, so that took a little bit of brain power.

The project took me around four hours to complete and the cost ended up being around $70, including the 3" foam that I ordered through Amazon (cheaper than JoAnn's).  The total cost was far less than having it custom made!  Some sewing skills are needed, however, I managed to put this together without the rotary cutter and mat (and electric knife for the foam!) that were shown in the video but having those items would have made it a bit easier.  I had to have some patience with myself too.   

You can find the link to the video here.  

Much appreciation to Sailrite for publishing their how-to! 

Oh, and it was a bit of a mess during this whole project - there was a lot going on  - desk for sewing machine, craft table for computer (video), ironing board, fold up table and...


...my Fitz -  what would a project be without him on the chair behind me, dumping over the trash can looking for plastic to chew, and striking a pose on my sewing machine cover?  He's my guy!



Here are a few pictures of the process:

I started out by putting in the longest upholstery zipper I could find.  If I were to do this again, I would have chosen a different fabric for the bottom.  I bought this piece because it was cheap and it wouldn't be seen.

I put the zipper in as usual.  The fabric was not very pleasant to work with however. 

Since my piece of foam wasn't cut accurately, I relied on a tape measure and my husband's square measuring tool from the garage.  This is where I was adding 12" of fabric on each side of the original piece.

Hard to see, but I used different colored markers as I worked out the dimensions of the piece.

Marks done - time to cut the corners.

I had never used basting tape before.  Thank goodness for that!!  I ended up using traditional pins AND the tape.

Sewing the corners wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated - however, I did finish off and re-start my stitching at each corner.  NOTE:  BEFORE YOU SEW IT ALL TOGETHER, PULL YOUR ZIPPER DOWN A GOOD SIX INCHES SO THAT YOU CAN TURN THE COVER RIGHT SIDE OUT.

Time to turn it right side out and stuff the foam in.

Finished product.  Turned out better than I thought it would.

A view of the bottom of the cushion and how it all came together at the seams.

Close up of the seam - I thought it turned out pretty darn well!










Comments

Popular Posts